"Gifted best practices are those instructional approaches that are sustainable over time and can be used with any grade level or content curriculum. Gifted best practices are those strategies that support higher level thinking and increased rigor in any lesson plan. Gifted best practices move students from acquisition of knowledge, where the teachers does most of the thinking and work, to assimilation and adaptation of knowledge, where students do both the thinking and the work. Lesson plans that include gifted best practices address high levels of rigor and relevance for all students. Students of all abilities and aptitudes, not just gifted students, benefit from these. Programs, such as Junior Great Books, are valuable tools that may be used to address specific student needs or a particular purpose, and may utilize best practices, but are a resource."
The Role and Importance of Process- "Why do I have to show my work if I can do it in my head?" This article for parents and teachers explores both the points of view on whether or not gifted students should show his/her work.
- Rigorous Instruction Look Fors
- Differentiating with Rigor (Going Deeper, Not Doing More)
- Cognitive Rigor in Today's Classrooms
- Teaching Learning Cycle for Gifted/Advanced Learners
- Website on iPads/Technology that Support Rigorous Instruction
Higher Order Thinking
- Depth of Knowledge (DOK)
- Vocabulary for Critical Thinking
- Bloom's Taxonomy
- 10 Ways to Improve Student Thinking
- Transforming Textbook Questions
Literacy Supports for Advanced Learners
- Respondo!- Don't just ask students to "identify the conflict" or "note the setting." Use Respondo! to click up some creative literature response questions.
- Teaching Strategies for Gifted Writers
- Teaching Strategies for Gifted Readers
- Selecting Resources for the Gifted Reader
- Literacy Questions to Push Student Thinking
- High Level Literacy Question Bookmarks
- Picture Book Higher Order Questions
Gifted Resources Available for Checkout
DID YOU KNOW...
Gifted and Talented has professional books, enrichment kits, and Junior Great Books available for check out?
For a complete list of all of the available professional and classroom resources you can check out, click here.
Or use the search terms "gifted and talented" "AGATE" or "Junior Great Books" to search through Destiny. Click below to log in and search the catalog of professional resources and classroom resources available for checkout.